Monday, April 30, 2018

Getting Ready to Head Back

April 5 - April 26

When I left off it was April 4 and we were heading back to Oregon to continue getting ready to come back to start the 2 year stint in the Netherlands.  Cheryl and I both had "an idea" of what we were getting into but we under estimated by, well...... a factor of 10!  We ended making it home safely though I required a special security search by an "all to friendly" security professional.

Next on the agenda was taking care of all the little things you don't want to have to worry about while away.  You know, hair cut, cutting your toe nails and of course getting your teeth cleaned.  It seemed like such a good idea at the time, but while there,the dentist reminded me that I had a tooth that's been ready to crack for about a year and needed a crown.  Since I was just over a week from take off, he offered to do me a favor and stay late to install the crown.  Geez I hate getting my teeth worked on.  Extra novocaine please!!

Cheryl has been doing an amazing job clearing the house of unwanted "stuff" and we have been hauling other items to the kids for their use or selling on Craigslist.  One of my golden rules is "don't love something that can't love you back."  By following that rule you would think it would be easy to sell the motor home and my motorcycle.  Well, it was hard!  We had the Intruder for 7 years and we keep a log of every time we use it.  There were 140 entries!  You math geniuses out there can quickly deduce that we take the Intruder out 20 times a year.  That's one hellava lot of Walmarts!  I hope the new owner has as much fun with it as we did.  Safe travels.

Next on the list was the motorcycle.  Though I didn't ride it much, there aren't many things better than riding a motorcycle in the country on a sunny summer day.  OK, there are probably a lot of things better, but still, it was fun.  The Yamaha V-Star 650 was my first motorcycle after I got my endorsement and the person who bought it just got his also.  That explains why he asked me to drive but back to his house after he bought it.  I was happy to do it as it gave me one more time to ride it.

The last items on our list were the good byes.  Crowns, selling the Intruder and motorcycle were bad enough, but visiting our many wonderful friends that we will not see nearly so often was tough.  Sure we will be back on occasion, but it s not the same as the routine "pop-ins" or an impromptu dinner out or a Sunday BBQ.  I must say that my heart hurt as the last couple weeks past but my liver was really feeling the pain.  Lots of farewell toasts but they were moments I will always remember.  We are so blessed to have so many wonderful friends.  We love you all so much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment